As we enter the summer months with people more likely to engage in outdoor pursuits, the HSE Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) is urging people to protect themselves against Lyme disease, an uncommon infection spread by infected biting tick.
Tick bites can be prevented by:
- Wearing long trousers, long sleeved shirt and shoes
- Using an insect repellent, such as DEET (but use a low-strength DEET if you are pregnant – your local pharmacist can advise you)
- Checking skin, hair and warm skin folds (especially the neck and scalp of children) for ticks, after a day out
- Removing any ticks and consulting with a GP if symptoms develop
- If you have been walking your dog, check him/her too